Total Pageviews

2014/10/26

Crystal Wings, Episode 5: An odd new friend

It was a peaceful morning. Undisturbed were the birds as they chirped to the beautiful morning that awoke and greeted them. Mother nature has always been gentle when she’s happy. But even the gentlest of greetings could never have prepared the birds and small animals around for the sudden uproar in the house of the Mackenzie’s.

RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING RING!

The alarm’s absolute fury was witnessed and felt by none other than myself. How, you may wonder. Simple. Because of a cruel yet sweet-freaking-psychological-mental-archer of sadism who decided it was good idea to wake me up by putting my alarm clock right next to my friggin’ ear and break both my ear drums and my dreams into shattered and torn pieces. “THE HELL CHRISTINE-- HAVE YOU GONE NUTS!?” Furious and just unable to speak due to the sudden shock I just received, I sat up and pointed my finger at my personal maid and best friend, Christine, who was ready and set to go. “I COULD HAVE DIED FROM A HEART ATTACK!” I yelled, or rather, whined. “But you didn’t. So it’s all good in the hood.” She replied and placed my uniform on my dresser. “No it’s definitely NOT.” I continued with my point but Christine, as always, just ignored my attempts of trying to catch her attention. “You’re gonna be late if you keep going on. Be down in 10 minutes.” She said and walked out, slamming the door behind her and leaving me dumbfounded. “Oh yes,” of course, she returned, opening a bit of the door and poking her head through, “Good job on waiting up early.” She said and moved away, closing the door and walking downstairs.

In a rage, I clenched my fists and took up my pillow, throwing it at the door with all my might and shouted, “DAMN YOU CHRISTINE!!!” With that one tiny roar, the birds around the house fled to a quieter spot as neighbors were awoken by something that they have no idea of.

Of course, I wasn’t particularly happy at all. To put it in perspective, my mood at that point was a pass for happy to Christine and an ‘okay’ to my dad. However, to me, I was super annoyed and sleepy. But I had to let it go and get changed into my uniform. That thought literally made the ‘let it go’ soundtrack from the movie ‘Frozen’ start playing in my brain to which, as a person trying to be happy, started to sing along with it. Judging by the way Christine reacted to this, I was probably singing one of the most annoying songs of the year. Can you blame her? Youtube (or to be more specific, it’s users) has mostly been the reason why Christine can’t handle the song anymore.

“Maria! It’s time for breakfast!” Christine called out from downstairs as the smell of the lasagna that she made travelled into my room. I flinched to the smell and quickly packed my school bag, fixed my tie and ran downstairs to dig in to the meal from heaven known as Lasagna.

Fast forward and we’re in one of the school’s many hallways. However, this one leads to our classroom, of course. We were also with our new friends that we met along the way. “Did you see the new advertisement for that new perfume that’s already really popular?” Kiri asked, being the chirpy girl that she was, who was also into fashion just like me. “They got popular that quickly? Like, do you mean, in a month or a week?” I asked, pretty baffled on how that could happen. Was it the smell or the feel of it and so many other questions just popped into my mind, waiting to be asked. It was normal stuff for me. Haruka rolled her eyes and tilted her head towards us, Kiri and I, who were shorter than her. “I don’t understand how you guys are so interested in stuff like that. Kiri once sprayed some perfume on me and I just couldn’t take it. I kept coughing. It was too strong for my senses.” She said and turned her head to look at where she was going. “Yeah right. You’re the only one who thinks like that in our group, Haru.” Kiri answered back and gave a ‘hmph’ at the end of it. “Ha! Akane agrees with me on this, right Akane?” Haruka said with a prideful laugh and looked at Akane. Surprisingly enough, Akane nodded and said, “Perfumes irritate my nose a lot,” with her ever so sweet and soft pitched voice. “Hmm.. That’s surprising.” Christine commented as I and Kiri just stood there with our jaws dropped. Unable to control their laughter, Christine, Haruka and Akane started laughing with their own ‘laughing’ style to which I and Kiri were embarrassed and decided to be on our guard and not get owned the next time by the all clever Haruka.

We reached the class, continuing with our jokes and being seen as the loudest group in the whole class. But even then, the sight of the blue haired girl who is the class rep will always make me zip my mouth. And that was exactly what happened. As soon as I stepped into the class, I noticed her and immediately became alert. Like, come on. Who wouldn’t be able to find a blue haired girl who shines amongst the majority of students with black hair that were really fond of her? It’s so obvious. And so was the reason I was acting like a mouse and trying hard not to be noticed by Aria. I could feel the reproachful gaze that my friends had on me as I crawled to my seat.

The school was probably in my favor because Aria was almost about to see me but the school bell rang and the teacher arrived, starting another day of school. 

Confronting Aria is something I would never do. Or so I thought when my thought train decided to take a detour all of a sudden. Confronting her would lift this heavy weight of doubt from my shoulders. But I’m a chicken, let’s face it. How on earth will I confront her after the impression that she has given me? I guess I’ll have to forget and forgive, right? My eyes stared into space but my head’s position made the teacher think I was listening to her. That was good. Or else I would have become minced meat by now. As I kept thinking and pondering upon this decision that I curse my thought train for, I tore a small piece of paper from my notebook and decided that it was enough thinking or else I would have a bald head instead and that would be a huge fashion crisis. I wrote a simple message on the chit that said, ‘This is Maria. Meet me at recess on the roof.’ I didn’t want to scare her nor seem awfully happy by using emoticons so I made it short and sweet. ‘This will be easy,’ I thought. But of course, it wasn’t and sending a chit proved to be more difficult than I thought. Here’s how it went:

First attempt: I attempted to ask the person in front of me to pass the chit but from what I saw, he was a huge fan of Aria and also a nerd that blatantly refused my request. I tried again, it was failure.

Second attempt: We were seated much differently now because right after break of the previous day, we changed our seats in a way that Aria now sat in the front where as I and my friends were in the back. So, naturally, I asked Christine who was beside me to pass the note but she didn’t listen to it and refused the request because of a body known as the teacher.

Third attempt: Great. 2nd period started. Seeing this as a chance, when everyone stood up and greeted the teacher as she left, I walked towards Aria and was about to hand the note to her but was caught by none other than my chemistry teacher. I froze and pretended to cough while picking up the chit, crumbling it and throwing it into the dustbin. That should have decreased her level suspicion of me.

Fourth attempt: I knew I wouldn’t be able to do anything to try and send Aria the chit so I gave up on doing so for the 2nd period. Why? The Chemistry Teacher had her dart board on me with her imaginary darts to throw at me when she gets a chance to catch me red handed.

Fifth attempt: Biology was the subject of the period and seeing this as an opportunity since our biology teacher was super sweet, I tried throwing the chit to Aria which hit someone else and that someone else just crumbled the piece of paper and threw it in the bin while ever so slightly sending a death glare at me.

Sixth attempt: 4th period. This was not okay at all. So, being really tired, I gave it my all for this try and it was Maths so I was dying as well because Algebra and Trigonometry are my arch-enemies. I asked Haruka to send the chit and she did, which helped me so much since now I wouldn’t have to awkwardly ask her in break. But, I was more nervous than before. Goodness.

Those were my 6 attempts and now, I’m just really tired. Aria did get the chit. She opened it and grinned a bit. Of course, I didn’t know that since I was trying to write with my now lifeless body. Aria took her pen and started to scribble down her reply, sending the chit back to me. “Huh?” I questioned as I saw a piece of familiar paper on my desk. It was my chit. ‘A reply?’ I thought and straight away opened it, reading the reply that the bluenette sent to me. She agreed. And somehow, this wasn’t pleasant news. Or at least it didn’t felt like it.

Recess arrived and so did a rush of tension and anxiety that paralyzed my whole body for a few seconds. I looked over, and noticed that the blue haired beauty was gone. ‘Did she leave already?’ I thought, looking around to confirm my suspicion. I sighed heavily and stood up, grabbing my sandwich and walking out of the classroom. However, I didn’t notice that I was acting bizarre and this odd behavior caught not only Christine’s attention, but also Akane’s attention.

I made my way to the rooftop. Of course, I didn’t know the actual way to the roof top so I had to ask several people while I went to the ‘meeting place’. Skipping all the awkward glances and confusion I got from the people I asked and from the people I didn’t ask, tripping once every 20 steps due to my anxiety levels that slowly rose and the occasional sweat drop that threatened my make-up, I finally made it to the ‘meeting place’.

“What took you so long?” Aria asked as soon as I step foot on the tiled floor (or roof?) of the roof top. “….Navigation problems.” I said rather awkwardly, closing the door behind me. “What is it that bothered you so much that you wanted to talk to me personally?” Aria said, a slight grin on her face. At that spot, I could feel embarrassment creeping over my whole body. I just had to say it. I had to relieve the tension that soured through my body. I didn’t want it to bother me any longer than it already did. So I told her. In a rather, ahem, fast paced and awkward manner.

“I’m sorry but I can’t return your feelings and it’s like if you wanna be my sister it’s fine but I hardly know you and I just met you and it’s really odd like I understand how it feels to have a person who you want to be sisters with just reject you but I seriously can’t and maybe we can start out as friends or something because I really don’t want a friend who is a sister right now and I’m so sorry. I hope you will forgive me!!” I said in a quick and fast paced manner with absolutely no breaks to breathe in between. My cheeks became red with embarrassment and it was just not okay for me. I even had difficulty breathing for a few moments.

“….That was a really long run-on sentence.” That was all Aria said before bursting into laughter. I mean like, literally, bursting into laughter. She even had tears in her eyes! Am I really that funny or am I just stupid?

“I didn’t mean it in that manner!” She said, after her laughing session neared it’s end. “I was just teasing you since you interested me and also because you’re English, just like me.” She said, calming herself down before I started to nervously laugh. Then, my friends interrupted us. Apparently they heard everything and I mean e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. “This is what you were so worried about.” Christine commented, being the first to be revealed as the rest followed. Akane just stared blankly at me, Kiri had a hypothetical question mark above her head and Haruka was her usual happy-go-lucky self.

“So, friends?” Aria asked all of a sudden, breaking the awkward silence we fell into.

“Huh?” I questioned. I was confused at this point and my brain was also guilty since it released a brain fart.

“Didn’t you say we would start out as friends?” She asked once again. She walked towards me, a smile on her face and extended her hand as a sign of peace. There was no blood shed previously so I don’t quite understand the reason why I thought her actions even meant that way. Too much of History movies, perhaps.

“Ah—Yes! Sure! Why not!” Okay…. I probably put too much enthusiasm into that. We exchanged phone numbers after that and so did the rest of my friends.

“I’ll text you after school, alright?” Aria said, stepping into the stairwell. “Why don’t you come along with us after school?” Haruka suddenly suggested, still being very hyper. Aria simply nodded and walked away, as if she had a sudden thought hold.

We went back to class, or rather, ran back to class since we were late by 5 minutes. That was all for that day in school. However uneasiness still lingered within my body.

The time came and it was time to go home. We all reached safely and I went through my normal routine.

9PM that day.

Christine and I thought it would be a good idea to finish dinner early and have a weekday movie night. It was time to watch ‘The Conjuring’ and it’s based upon a real story so basically, I was wrapped in my blanket and digging my face into Christine’s shoulder the whole entire time. 30 minutes into the movie, Aria messaged me, making my phone ring violently which made me scream. Come on, there was so much tension that I wouldn’t be surprised if I saw ghosts.

“Answer it.” Christine said with an annoyed tone, using the remote and pausing the movie.

“…Fine.” With a small pout, I decided to answer to the sudden message. Why did I do so? Because Christine was literally shooting daggers at me with her eyes and because I didn’t want to sound rude.

This is what Aria’s message said: Hello. I hope I’m not disturbing you. Well, I hope we can get along as friends. See you tomorrow at school. C:

Quite straight forward. That actually caused me to lift an eyebrow since I always thought she was a nerd or something but this message definitely stated otherwise. I started typing my answer down as Christine peeped every 5 seconds. I seriously took too long to reply.

This was my reply: Hello! :D No, you aren’t. : ) I think we will get along pretty well. See you tomorrow! :D


Too many emoticons. But that’s me. I sent her the reply and was done with it. I kept my phone down and snuggled back into my blanket. “Alright then. Now, please don’t scream.” Christine said, resuming the movie. “I’ll try..” I said with cracks in my voice because I couldn't help but be nervous. We continued our night with me screaming and not being able to sleep that night whereas the bluenette went to sleep thinking about something less sinister but something that would involve us all. Sooner or Later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment